Sunday, December 23, 2012

Treasured Hand-Me-Downs

MERRY CHRISTMAS &
HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL
This little doll was made by my mother before she died.  She loved Christmas and would spend hours making decorations for the tree and the house.  Our home for Christmas was a wonderland, decorations everywhere, no corner escaped a toy, a doll, a reindeer and/or any one of the many Santas in her collection or the decorations she made with such care and joy. Her tree would be dripping ornmaments and this ornament was one of them.
This porcelain brooch is not really a Christmas ornament but a Christmas gift from my father-in-law to my mother-in-law.  Then, in 2004, my mother-in-law gave it to me to hang on the tree, the very first Christmas she spent with Rob and I.  This ornament and the angel that goes on the top are the last ornaments to be placed on the tree as they are always given noticable places on the tree.
The watering can...a small, plastic, orange, watering can.  It has been in my family for over three quarters of a century - our family heirloom and treasured by all of us. My grandmother bought the watering can for her very first Christmas tree, now it hangs on my tree. Eventually it will go to my niece, Kimberley as with all of my decorations and so the treasured hand-me-downs move forward to the next generation of children and family.

Christmas is a time for family, memories, traditions and treasured hand-me-downs.

Happy Holidays!