Monday, December 31, 2012

A Gift for My Husband

Printer's Tray
The Holidays are a difficult time for Rob and I.  We miss our families especially our parents as they died way too young. Rob is an only child and as such his Mom left him mementoes of his dad (who died when Rob was 15) and of the life they shared together.  Many of those keepsakes were in boxes stashed away, hidden and when she died I added her treasures to those boxes.  When I first saw the printer's tray a few years after her death, I was not certain what I would do with it, all those little compartments! In the old days of the printing press the compartments were called type cases so named because they were used to hold the different letters of the alphabet. My husband's gift however holds some of the letters of his life, prominently displayed for all the world to see.  This tray measures 16" x 11.5" and has twenty-one compartments.  I have emptied those hidden boxes and filled the compartments with all the treasures that would fit.

Shirley's Fish Brooch.
       Here are a few of the treasure filled type cases:            
Rob with Mom and Dad
Child's Crayons and Game Pieces

Paris, the timeless city
Film Strip, Dad's Baby Ring & Computer Board
Nesting Bird With Roses

Crown and Treasure "Light Bulb"
 
Fir-de-Lis Note Pad
1,2,3...

Journey Key and Crown

Shirley with her Accordian

December 25, 2012


Happy New Year!