Friday, April 12, 2013

April Showers bring May Flowers


I'm enjoying the Crazy Quilt Journal Project for 2013.  My blocks are 6.5" x 6.5" most of the time. The embroidery tends to shrink the block a bit but it is big enough for me to explore new stitches and just  small enough that I don't get bogged down.

April Shower bring May flowers...the lady with the parasol is appliqued to the block using silk thread.  I believe in using silk thread for applique. My favorite is YLI Silk #100 fine silk.  The silk sinks into the fabic and disappears, never to be seen again.  My rain drops, Ricky Tims Razzle Dazzle, polyester from Superior Threads, color 251.

My teacher and very dear friend, Glender Irvine of Silver Springs, Florida introduced me to Di van Niekerk's silk embroidery.  I was luck enough to pick up a copy of Di van Niekerk's book Roses in silk and organza ribbon at Jo-Ann's for 50% off the regular price...great deal!  I experimented with the twirled ribbon rose and I'm looking forward to trying the different techiques including the two stumpwork birds presented in the book.

Stay tuned for the flowers of May.

Enjoy!