Friday, January 4, 2013

Doorway to the New Year

January, Doorway to the New Year

I thought that I would challenge myself this year and so decided to take part in the Crazy Quilt Journal Project 2013.   The project is all about promoting the art of crazy quilting and encouraging the artist who take part in the exercise to explore, grow and demand more creatively of themselves.

January's block, Doorway to the Rest of the Year, is the first of 12 crazy quilt blocks (one for each month of the year).  Each block measures 6" by 6" just large enough for some variety but small enough that I'm able to finish the block and meet my deadline. The stitches used in this block, Algerian eye (hot-fix crystal at the center of the Algerian eye) French knots and straight.  I think I would like to explore one stitch per block.  In January's the predominant stitch is the French knot done with variegated silk ribbon and some pearle cotton.  

Stay tuned as the door slowly opens into the next month...